Baseball Advisory Committee
August 27, 2007 10 a.m.
Robert W. Hughes FHSAA Building
Paul McLaughlin called the meeting to order at 10 a.m. The following committee members were in attendance: Carlan Martin, Marianna HS; John Gwynes, Ed White HS (Jacksonville); David Wheeler, Bishop Moore HS (Orlando); Matt McCool, Palatka HS; Clyde Metcalf, Sarasota HS; Frank Permuy, Gaither HS (Tampa); and Pat McQuaid, FACA/Nova HS (Davie). John A. Stewart, Commissioner; Denarvise Thornton, Sr. Director of Athletics & Officials; Paul McLaughlin, Director of Athletics; Jack Watford, Director of Communications; and Kyle Gerberding, Intern, also attended the meeting.
1. Mr. McLaughlin welcomed the committee members to the FHSAA Office. He explained the procedure for completing the expense vouchers.
2. Mr. McLaughlin gave the committee members an overview of the purpose of the meeting and the recommendation process was explained in detail.
3. Each committee member introduced themselves and verified their e-mail address.
4. John Gwynes, Ed White High School, was selected chairman by a unanimous vote.
5. The minutes from the 2006 meeting were reviewed in detail and accepted as presented.
6. The 2007 state baseball tournament was discussed. The committee opined that the City of Sarasota does a great job in hosting this event and that the tournament is well run. Game stats from the tournament were briefly reviewed. Jack Watford reviewed the FHSAA procedure for awarding tournament sites. An RFP should be available on the FHSAA web site in about a month to host the 2009-2012 FHSAA Baseball Finals. The umpire evaluation system was discussed.
7. General comments regarding the 2006-07 FHSAA Baseball Manual were positive. Mr. McLaughlin explained the procedure for implementing the best two of three Regional Final Series.
8. The National Federation baseball rules were discussed. Clarification is necessary on several conduct rules; namely the malicious contact rule and protocol after a team completes its infield. Paul McLaughlin discussed the new NFHS baseball rules for 2008. Emphasis was given to the new obstruction to the base rule.
9. Old Business:
Detailed information regarding all recommendations can be found on the attachments to these minutes. Strikethrough text is current wording to be deleted and underlined text in new wording being added.
2006 RECOMMENDATION #1: It was moved by Mr. Permuy seconded by Mr. McCool and carried unanimously to modify the penalty for NFHS Rule 3-1-1. For discovery of an illegal player (2-36-3) on offense by an umpire or either team, that player shall be called out and shall be ejected restricted to the bench/dugout for the duration of the game. An illegal player discovered on defense shall be ejected restricted to the bench/dugout for the duration of the game .
10. New Business:
2007 RECOMMENDATION #1: It was moved by Mr. McQuaid seconded by Mr. Permuy and carried unanimously to modify the bat rule for Middle Schools only. NFHS Rule 1-3-2 and 1-3-4 shall be modified to permit bats with a differential greater than 3 to be used in Middle School baseball games. Note: A student in eighth grade or below playing on a high school team cannot benefit from this rule change.
11. Paul McLaughlin stated that the number of ejections in all sports was greater in 2006-07 than the previous year. Baseball coaches who are not faculty members seem to have a higher incidence of ejections as compared to faculty coaches. Several bench-clearing situations from 2006-2007 were discussed. Many of the coaches on the committee pointed out that the FHSAA policy on ejections is supportive for good sporting conduct. The coaches know that there are consequences for unsporting conduct.
12. Open agenda. These items were addressed.
Dr. Stewart discussed the FHSAA Sportsmanship Summit to be held in Orlando on September 14.
Roster size of 20 with a district entry list of only 20. 2007 was the first season where the number was the same for both.
Certain school districts block voting to always host the district tournament.
Denarvise Thornton reviewed the FHSAA Steroid Testing Program and how it will relate to the sport of baseball. He also pointed out that there is a list of banned substances on the FHSAA web site.
Paul McLaughlin reviewed the change is Regional Bracketing because of the BOD mandate from last year. In the regional semifinal round, the W1/R2 winner plays the W2/R1 winner, etc.
Several coaches opined that the umpires can be a positive role model for players and help players relax by how the umpires act prior to and during the game.
The committee was unanimous in that this meeting should be scheduled later in the calendar. It is difficult to get away from school during the 2nd week of the fall semester.
13. Paul McLaughlin reminded the committee members that there are no changes for the committee next year. Paul McLaughlin thanked everyone for their input. Mr. Gwynes adjourned the meeting at 12:19 pm.